Root Canal Therapy in North Canton, OH
Root canal therapy is an effective treatment used to save a tooth that is decayed or infected. The root canal procedure is a safe and conservative treatment that alleviates pain and makes extraction unnecessary, preserving a person’s dental anatomy. Dr. Julie M. Thomas provides gentle, comfortable root canal therapies in a spa-like atmosphere. Our team of dental professionals utilize modern techniques and technologies to leave you with a healthy, beautiful smile.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
Millions of teeth are treated and saved with root canal treatments each year. The procedure involves removing the compromised section of the tooth (the pulp), sterilizing the pulp chamber, and then filling it with gutta-percha a composite material that seals the tooth to prevent re-infection. Most root canal therapies take place over two visits. The first to clean out the infected area, and the second to fit the tooth with a permanent crown. Here are the basics of a root canal procedure.
- X-rays - An x-ray helps pinpoint exactly which part of your tooth is decayed or infected.
- Anesthesia - Local anesthesia is administered to the affected area to maximize your comfort and allow you to achieve a positive procedure experience. Many believe that root canal treatment is no more painful than a simple filling.
- Pulpectomy - Once your tooth is numb, a small hole is created at the top of the tooth, the pulp is removed, and the canal chambers are sterilized.
- Filling - After the compromised pulp has been removed, Dr. Thomas fills the cavity with composite resin to seal the opening and prevent bacteria from re-entering the tooth.
- Crown Placement - A well-fitted crown is placed over the remaining natural dental structure and cemented to ensure optimal dental function. The restoration is col-md-6or-matched to surrounding dental structures to make sure you are left with a uniform smile.
At the office of Julie M. Thomas, DDS, we do everything we can to ensure patient comfort throughout every procedure. For patients feeling anxious about undergoing root canal therapy, you can talk to Dr. Thomas at the start of your appointment to voice your concerns and any questions you may have.
Preserve Your Smile!
At the office of Julie M. Thomas, DDS, our North Canton dental team is eager to help you achieve optimal oral health, dental function, and aesthetic. Our experienced dentist provides root canal therapy to ensure you have your beautiful smile for as long as possible.